English NGO helping Africa
The English NGO Evidence for Development, part of the Walker Institute, are using OpenXava to create a data entry and reporting application to be used in the field in Africa. The application maintains data recorded in African villages. The data produces an economic model of the village. The model is used when weather, drought, war or other disasters place the villagers under threat.
The head of development for this project, David Brown, says that they chose OpenXava because:
- Cloud or standalone deployment.
- Open source code and ability to work with other open source products such as MySQL and Tomcat.
- Uses a language taught in most Universities - Java.
- A quorum of developers providing forum based support with paying for support as an option.
- An agile approach to software development.